Recognition and Awards
Our faculty's achievements are reflected in their many awards and honours. We are honoured to have:
The university also bestows honours on faculty whose achievements in research, scholarship and creative activities are deemed outstanding by experts in their respective fields. These awards include J Gordin Kaplan Award for Excellence in Research, the Martha Cook Piper Research Prize and the University Cup.
Awards recieved this past year
- 2012 Royal Society of Canada McNeil Medal: John Acorn
- 2012 Royal Society of Canada Fellows: John England, Gregory Forth, Don Page, Witold Pedrycz.
- 2012 Canada Gairdner Wightman Award: Lorne Babiuk - for achievements in vaccine development and research on human and veterinary infectious disease control.
- 2013 Sloan Research Fellowship: Juli Gibbs-Davis, John Davis.
- 2012 Explorers Club of New York Medal: Philip Currie for achievements and contributions in paleontology.
- 2012 NSERC Brockhouse Canada Prize for Interdisciplinary Research in Science and Engineering: David Bundle, John Klassen and Todd Lowary for advancements on vaccines for infectious diseases such as E. coli, tuberculosis and Clostridium difficile.
- 2013 Kilam Prizes: Lorne Babiuk, Witold Pedrycz
- 2012 Martha Cook Piper Research Prize: Craig Heinke, Robert Losey
- 2012 University Cup: Marek Michalak
- 2012 Canadian Academy of Health Sciences: Kerry Courneya, Kim Raine, Marcello Tonelli
- 2013-2014 Killam Professors: Yasmeen Abu-Laban, Mohamed Gamal El-Din, Dennis Hall, Fangliang He, James Pinfold, Aminah Robinson Fayek, Imre Szeman
- 2013 J Gordin Kaplan Award for Excellence in Research: Gerald Robertson, Roderick Wasylishen
- 2014 Martha Cook Piper Research Prize: George Georgiou, Tian Tang
All University of Alberta award winners
Visit the Acadamic Awards and Ceremonies Database to find all our award winners. You can search by award, recipient and/or field of study.